Call for submissions
Building Character: From A to Izzard
In partnership with the Southern Festival of Books, Watkins College of Art invites artists of book, paper, print and digital media to submit work for an exhibition on campus in the Brownlee O. Currey, Jr. Gallery that explores the spine of all great storytelling: character.
Artists are forever compelled first by a question, a need to apprehend the elusive, and this year for the Handmade & Bound Festival we pose this: What does character mean to you?
For us, the notion of character as a subject is consciously enigmatic. Much like a work of art, the word character and its meaning is determined by intention and context. An artist’s approach to answering the question at hand takes unlimited forms: literature, portraiture, animation, journaling, typography, physical attributes or techniques, etc. We look forward to being inspired by artists’ interpretations of this multifaceted theme, and encourage artists to think outside the page.
- Submissions are due by September 1, 2018.
- Artists will be notified of their acceptance on or before September 11th.
- The gallery show will run October 11 – 25, 2018. An opening reception will be held on October 11th at 5:30pm.
- If work is accepted to the show, work must be delivered to Watkins by September 28, 2018.
- Work must be display ready.
- Please feel free to bring any marketing materials.
- Work can either be delivered in person or mailed to the main address
Watkins College of Art
attn: H&B Committee
2298 Rosa L Parks
Nashville, TN 37228
- Artists must pick up work on either October 25 or 26th, if work was delivered in person. If mailed, staff will coordinate delivery date for work.