Tuition & fees
Academic Year 2017-18
Flat-rate annual tuition for 12 to 18 credit-hours per semester, including on-campus housing.
To graduate in four years, take at least 15 credit-hours per semester. You can take 24 credit-hours per academic year (12 per semester) and still be considered full-time. Keep in mind, however, that if you take just 24 credit-hours a year, you will not graduate in four years.
If you take fewer than 12 credit-hours per semester, you are considered a part-time student. You will be charged $725 per credit-hour, plus $65 per credit-hour in student fees. Most classes earn three credit-hours, so the total cost of tuition and fees for each course is $2,370.
Estimated Cost of Attendance 2017-2018
|Living||On campus||Off campus||At home|
|Room and board||$10,350||$13,000||$5,600|
What does the estimate include?
- The figures listed include both costs paid directly to Watkins (e.g. tuition, fees, on-campus housing) and estimated indirect costs for an academic year (fall to spring) not paid to Watkins, such as books, supplies, meals, transportation, and other personal expenses that you may incur while you are enrolled.
- We provide these figures for planning purposes only—they do not represent the actual indirect expenses you may incur during an academic year. The figures represent what federal guidelines define as “reasonable” expenses.
- The budget includes such variables as transportation, supplies, and books—the costs of which can vary from student to student and program to program.
- The figures above are based on full-time enrollment for one school year. You may spend more or less than what we have estimated.
What do the “fees” cover?
- Course costs not covered by tuition.
- Additional academic and technological experiences and equipment.
- Facility maintenance, purchase and maintenance of equipment, purchase and updating of slides and reference books, updating of software, photocopying, student supplies, and models.
- Student ID cards, parking stickers, maintenance and security of parking lots, publications such as the Student Handbook, and certain activities and projects within student life.
- Core course fees. If you are a first-time college student, you will pay an additional Core 1 fee of $170 in your first semester and an additional Core 2 fee of $120 in your second semester.
- Film program fee. If you are a film major, you will pay an additional fee of $250 per semester to cover extra equipment expenses incurred in the film program.
Special-status tuition and fees
- Special-status students taking courses for credit must pay an additional fee of $725 per credit-hour plus $65 per credit-hour in student fees.
- Special-status students auditing courses (not for credit) must pay $330 per credit-hour plus $65 per credit-hour in student fees.
Learn what it means to be a special-status student.
At Watkins, we offer an interest-free payment plan through our Business Office. For details, email the Office Manager or call 615.383.4848, ext. 7436.