Portfolio Prep & Development
Assemble your portfolio
For every Watkins BFA degree program, you must submit a digital portfolio of your work. Include your strongest material—work that reflects your individual artistry as well as your foundational skills. Keep in mind that we rely on portfolios to make decisions about portfolio-based scholarships.
What to include:
- Limit your submission to 15 examples.
- Be program specific. Include pieces that are relevant to the program you hope to enter. Learn more about each program here: film, fine art, graphic design, illustration, interior design, photography.
- Offer variety. Include a range of media and techniques that demonstrate your skill and versatility.
- Demonstrate a personal voice. Include examples of work created outside of class assignments that show your voice as an artist.
- Make strategic choices. Consult our faculty and admissions staff for advice when making final choices for your portfolio. Meet with them during a National Portfolio Day event or on a visit to the Watkins campus.
- Submit in digital format. We prefer that you submit your portfolio electronically. Learn how to prepare and submit a digital portfolio.