Facilities & equipment
The Watkins film program offers state-of-the-art facilities and equipment to enrich and refine your filmmaking work.
- Two production stages outfitted with rolling set pieces that create a variety of shooting opportunities such as the front of a house and/or brownstone and interior rooms, including staircases, bookcases, and furniture. Both stages have board-controlled lighting grids.
- Two large digital editing labs with Avid, Final Cut Pro, and Pro Tools editing software.
- Post-production audio/music studios with Pro Tools, two ADR booths, and studio Foley pits for completing dialogue, music, and sound design work.
- 8200-cubic-foot mix theater with ProTools HD surround for full Dolby 5.1 film mixes.
- Color Correction Suite with Blackmagic Design’s DaVinci Resolve 9.0 with a Tangent 3 Trackball Control Surface.
- Student Writing Lab equipped with Final Draft software and Microsoft Office for writing screenplays.
- 200-seat professional movie theatre with state-of-the-art projection and sound.
- Production office for student meetings and other tasks necessary to arrange our 50-plus student productions mounted each semester. Auditions for actors are held every fall and spring, and more than 200 catalogued head-shots and actor resumes are on file for perusal.
A film equipment room houses all the film school’s production equipment. Students follow industry practices for the check-out and returning of gear. Only students in production classes may check out equipment.
Some highlighted equipment includes:
- One Red Scarlet fully equipped camera capable up to 6k resolution.
- One Panasonic HC-X1000 4k Camera.
- Two Arri SR-1 16mm camera packages.
- Four Canon 5D Mark III camera packages.
- Two HPX 170 cameras.
- One Sony EX3 camera.
- One GoPro Hero 4 with multiple mounting options.
- Two Canon Rebel T5is.
- Varying Prime lenses for DSLRs.
- Three Mountable Field Monitors.
- Four Panasonic DVX100 mini DV camera packages.
- 12’ crane arm and platform.
- Digital and Film camera tripods.
- Glidecam Steadicam Harness and Arm.
- Two Shoulder Mounts for DSLRs.
- Four 744T Sound recorders.
- Zoom H6N Sound recorders.
- Six Sennheiser shotgun microphone kits.
- Two Redrock Cages with Matte Boxes and Follow Focus.
- Large assortment of grip and lighting equipment including LEDs.