Director of Student Life
Posted on: February 27 2018
Established in 1885, Watkins College is a private, not for profit, college of visual arts offering BFA degrees in film, fine arts, graphic design, illustration, interior design and photography as well as a BA in art and MFAs in film production and visual arts. All programs at Watkins are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC) and by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). Watkins is also a member of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD), a nonprofit consortium of the 42 leading art schools in North America.
Watkins College of Art welcomes applications for the following position:
Director of Student Life
The Director of Student Life is responsible for providing overall leadership and complete administrative oversight for college-wide student engagement initiatives that impact student retention, success and completion. The Director is responsible for hiring, training and supervising department staff and student employees in their work to develop, implement, manage and evaluate programming related to student involvement, student leadership, student ambassadors, student clubs and organizations, peer mentor program, career services, and student employment. The Director is also responsible for implementing the college orientation activities. The position’s breadth and depth will require an experienced student affairs administrator who understands and appreciates the leadership and the attention to students required on a small campus that is dedicated to student well-being, engagement, and success.
Specific duties include:
- Supervising, supporting, and leading the professionals charged with implementing the mission and vision of Student Life on campus.
- Managing responses to crises that directly or indirectly impact students, including providing support to students and families.
- Meeting with, mentoring, and supporting a wide variety of students.
- Serving on college committees including the Enrollment Management Team and others as required.
- Ensuring that all areas within Student Life stay current with, and follow, all applicable laws and policies.
- Establishing and enhancing collaborative programs and services, including partnerships with faculty and staff as well as off campus community partners.
- Performing other duties in keeping with the position and the expectation to support the college in achieving its mission and goals.
- Provide leadership, oversight and vision for the Department of Student Life & Career Development including managing department budgets.
- Research, implement and evaluate career development programming for students.
This is a full-time position with an excellent benefits package including health insurance.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: By 5:00 PM on March 9, 2018
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two years professional experience in student affairs with emphasis on student life experience and program development.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of student development theory and importance of campus engagement as a retention tool.
- Experience creating and maintaining budgets.
- Familiarity with data collection, analysis and data-based decision making.
- Demonstrated competence in establishing positive working relationships and effective communications with students, faculty, staff and administrative colleagues.
- A background check will be required of the successful applicant.
- Master’s degree in Student Affairs, College Student Personnel, Higher Education or closely related field.
- Experience working with student leaders and student employees.
- Demonstrated commitment to and appreciation of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong communication skills, written and oral.
- Experience in or demonstrated understanding of a small residential college environment preferred
Applications will be reviewed beginning immediately, with a priority deadline of March 9, 2018. Applications will be considered on a continuous basis until an appointment is made.
To apply, please forward materials to: email@example.com.