The Writing Center at Watkins offers free, one-on-one help with writing projects for students, faculty, and alumni of the college. We cover research techniques, library use, and all aspects of writing for academic assignments and professional development. Be advised that we won’t write FOR you, but we’ll definitely help you with the process.
NEW, EXPANDED HOURS FOR SPRING 2013! :: In addition to scheduling appointments on an as-needed basis, the Writing Center will be have regular, walk-in hours as follows in these locations:
Tuesdays, 9:00 am - 1 pm
Thursdays, 9:00 am - NOON
Monday - Thursday, 4 pm - close
You can also schedule appointments in advance for these hours. Come see us!
To schedule an appointment
1. Contact us at [email protected], and include:
- The work/assignment you need help with, either in the body of the email or attached as a .doc. .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file
- A brief explanation of the assignment and any areas in which you’re specifically looking for guidance
- Days (M - F) on which you are able to schedule your appointment
2. We’ll send you a confirmation email letting you know that your work has been received.
3. We will follow up in a second email with a scheduled appointment time.
4. You will email a reply to confirm your appointment.
Walk-ins: Walk-in appointments are accepted during the hours listed above, but scheduled appointments are recommended!
Cancellation Policy: Please allow 12 hours notice to reschedule or cancel an appointment. Email the Writing Center staff at [email protected], or call 277-7427.
Please call if you are running late to your session.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- We’ll start by talking about what your specific needs are, and we’ll set an agenda for your session.
- We’ll review your work with you, and you will actively participate in diagnosing problems and fixing them.
- We may ask you to write, edit, brainstorm, research, or complete online tutorials targeting specific writing concerns.
- The appointment will last from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 to 3 days before your due date to give us time to set up the appointment and read your work. For big assignments, we strongly recommend that you first visit two weeks before your due date because you may need more than one session to polish your work. Follow-up appointments are also highly recommended for these assignments.
- Bring two copies of your work-in-progress as well as your assignment guidelines.
- After your tutoring session we will ask you to complete a brief survey — even if you’ve taken it before.
HELPFUL ONLINE RESOURCES
Punctuation problems? Grammar issues? Need help organizing essays or integrating sources? See our Handouts for a bevy of printable, informative guides covering every aspect of writing and research.
Be sure and check out our new tutorial- 10 Steps to a Bad-Ass Essay
Produced with the Library at Watkins