Watkins Community Education - Fall 2013 Teaching Artist
CALL FOR TEACHING ARTISTS/COURSE PROPOSALS
OPPORTUNITY (Posted May 10, 2013):
The Community Education program at Watkins College of Art, Design & Film seeks applicants for temporary part-time teaching artist positions for the Fall 2013 term. Fall Term runs September 16 to November 17, 2013 (with make-up classes the week of November 18).Qualified individuals are invited to submit proposals for adult courses/workshops in the areas of drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics, woodwork, film, animation, graphic design, typography, interior design, photography, book arts, art history, and special topics.
Watkins CE hires exceptional practicing artists to teach courses that encourage creative thinking through instruction in a variety of visual arts media. Teaching artists guide students through a process of skill development (principles, basic concepts, specific vocabulary, and latest working techniques of the medium) and individual discovery (marked by inquiry and exploration).
Teaching artists create a safe and supportive learning environment where students can feel comfortable taking risks and engaging in creative challenges. Key components of creating environments designed to support student learning include demonstrations, critical reflection, references to the work of both historical and contemporary artists, and hands-on experience in our state-of-the-art studios. Individual attention and small class sizes (5-15 students) encourage participation and dialogue.
- Develop age-appropriate curricula in cooperation with the Community Education Director.
- Submit Course Proposal form, resume, and work samples/links by the deadline.
- Relate needs for supplies and equipment to the Director by the deadline.
- Attend required meetings.
- Prepare studio/classroom and collect supplies for class use; return studio/classroom to previous condition when class is dismissed.
- Keep Director informed of important happenings or challenges regarding students, equipment, or space.
Please complete and submit the following to Meredith Eastburn, Director of Community Education ([email protected], 615-277-7455):
- Course Proposal Form
- Current résumé
- 3 references (only if you’ve never taught at Watkins before)
- Work samples: 5-7 images in one PDF or Word document OR a link to your portfolio/website.
We will ONLY accept typed/emailed course proposals, and late proposals will not be considered.
DEADLINE: June 10, 2013
TEACHING ARTISTS MUST:
- Be positive, patient, perceptive, and resourceful.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree.
- Be practicing what they teach.
- Have teaching ability either through learned skill-sets or intuitive practice (preferably 2+ years or equivalent experience in a variety of teaching contexts).
- Be willing to develop teaching skills through regular exposure to new ideas and methods
Salary:Commensurate with experience
- Meredith Eastburn
- (615) 277-7455
- [email protected]