Watkins College of Art, Design & Film will hold a general casting call for Fall 2015 student film projects on Saturday, September 12, at the Watkins campus in Metro Center.
Directors of approximately 16 productions from the BFA film program at Watkins will be looking for actors of all ages. Student films are being made under the SAG/AFTRA student film agreement and therefore all current union members are allowed to participate. Actors are asked to bring headshots and résumés.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script (with on-camera readings at the discretion of each director). Casting breakdowns and proposed shoot dates (usually over a 3-day/Friday–Sunday period) will be posted to this page as they become available [not before September 2] and distributed on site.
Audition slots will be divided according to gender and age throughout the day (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.). Please note: Individual appointments are not available.
- 10 to 11 a.m. – Leading men, age range 19-40
- 11 a.m. to noon – Leading and character men, age range 40 and up
- Noon to 1 p.m. – Leading women, age range 19-40
- 1 to 2 p.m. – Leading and character women, age range 40 and up
- 3 to 4 p.m. – Children and youth, age range 8-18
Watkins is located at 2298 Rosa L. Parks Boulevard in Metro Center (across from the Looby). Free parking is available in the campus lot.
All cast members will be invited to a screening of projects at the end of the semester and will have access to an online copy of the film and a quick-time file (without music) to cut into a reel.
About The Film School at Watkins
Offering one of the College’s oldest degree programs, The Film School at Watkins offers a demanding and immersive curriculum that explores the artistic, technical and business aspects of filmmaking to provide a truly hands-on experience for aspiring professionals. Students may pursue the four-year BFA degree or, for those who have already earned a bachelor’s degree, a Certificate in Film.
While rooted in dramatic narrative, the program encourages documentaries, commercials, music videos, experimental films, and television/web programs as students develop their technical skills and sharpen the focus on their unique artistic vision. Through deep study of the primary roles of writing, producing, directing, imaging, and editing; access to the latest—and next—technologies; a portfolio reel of increasingly complex projects, and opportunities to connect with the professional creative community, graduates are prepared for a variety of careers in film, video, news and entertainment.
Director: Micah Atkinson/ firstname.lastname@example.org/ 615-556-6237
Production Type: Student Production II With Dialogue
Project Length: 15 pages, 10-15 minutes
Shooting Locations: Nashville and Murfreesboro, TN
Shooting Dates: Oct 16-18
Compensation: DVD Copy, Digital File, Meals, no pay
Synopsis: A melancholy young man lives with his older brother and his best friend, broadcasting a culinary web-show from a converted closet space. Through his broadcast, he meets a beautiful food blogger, who much to his surprise, seems to take interest in him.
• COLEY (Lead/Male/Early-Mid 20s): An introspective, melancholy young man, burdened by a rocky childhood. Though awkward and seemingly distant, he somehow maintains a sort of mysterious charm.
• ELLE (Co-Lead/Female/Early-Mid 20s): Elle is a little geeky and a tad bit awkward, but irresistibly charming when she shows interest in a subject. She is bright, and always in thought.
• MAFYA (Co-Lead/Male/Late Teen to Early-Mid 20s): Mafya is thoughtful and sensitive towards Coley, but still energetic and easily distracted. He is Coley’s confidant, and while supportive, wants Coley to branch out of his safe bubble.
• EON (Co-Lead/Male/Late 20s to Early 30s): Coley’s older brother. In the absence of their parents, Eon has taken over the provider and protector roles of Coley, but still struggles to relate to him emotionally. Eon often ends up frustrated by his younger brother, but loves him and wants the best for him.
• YOUNG COLEY (Supporting/No Dialogue/Age 8-11)
• YOUNG MAFYA (Supporting/No Dialogue/Age 8-11)
Young Coley and Young Mafya make an appearance in a flashback sequence.