Why orientation is important
Orientation is a fun and informative event that introduces you to your creative journey at Watkins as well as to the programs, resources, and services available to you as you travel it. If you are a new student—freshman or transfer student—you are required to attend.
Here’s why Orientation is so important:
- Meet as a group with the faculty of the program you are entering—a great opportunity to connect with your new professors and mentors as well as with the students in your cohort.
- Sit down with your advisor to plan your upcoming semester—and your entire college career.
- Attend a financial aid consultation to confirm that scholarships and other forms of aid have been applied to your account.
- Get your Watkins student ID.
- Register for classes.
- Learn essential information about academic policies and campus life.
- Arrange for your parents to attend a special program designed just for them.
- Visit the Business Office to pay your tuition and fees or apply for one of several tuition payment plans.
Registration—Here’s how it works
- Sit down with your advisor to develop an academic strategy and a list of courses to take. Your individual advising appointment will be listed on the front of your orientation folder when you check in on campus.
- Register for your first semester’s classes based on the consultation you’ve just had with your advisor.
- Visit the Financial Aid Office where the staff will make sure any scholarships and other forms of aid have been applied to your account.
- Stop in at the Business Office to pay your tuition and fees or sign up for one of several tuition payment plans. If you do not pay or make arrangements for payment of your tuition at this time, your registration will be cancelled at the end of the day. For more information on payment plans or other billing questions, get in touch with the Business Manager.
If you’ll be living on campus, you must take residence on the official move-in date, when support systems will be in place to help you get oriented to your new home. Student Services staff, Resident Advisors, and Orientation Leaders will be on hand to welcome you and guide you through the process. Visit the Housing and residential life pages for in-depth information, or talk with the Residence Life Coordinator.
Can’t attend orientation?
Orientation is mandatory. If you cannot attend, contact the Director of Student Life as soon as possible to make alternate arrangements.
What do you need?
- Admissions Office: 615.277.7418
(application process, campus tours)
- Business Office: 615.277.7436
(student accounts, tuition payments)
- Financial Aid Office: 615.277.7421
(financial aid advice, work-study)
- Front Desk: 615.383.4848
(directions, main building hours)
- Registrar’s Office: 615.277.7423
(registration, grade distribution)
- Student Life Office: 615.277.7406
(non-academic services, accommodations for disabilities, housing)
- Watkins Library: 615.277.7427
(research, book and film rentals)